LL.B BCom. (Special Counsel)
Bernie holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Commerce (Economics) from the University of Melbourne and has been the litigation Special Counsel for MPH since 2011.
Having been in practice for 30 years, including 20 years as principal of Victoria’s second largest regional law firm in Geelong, he has extensive experience over a wide range of areas, with his main focus being commercially related litigation and contractual disputes, trade practices claims and claims involving deceased estates.
Bernie’s knowledge and experience enable him to provide strategic advice and invaluable assistance to clients about the planning and conduct of litigation.
Bernie's experience includes:
Corporations, Commercial and General Contract
- Acting for eight Applicants in Federal Court proceedings involving claims of breach of contract, TPA and negligence in claims in excess of $25 million.
- Acting for two Respondents in the Federal Court in proceedings instituted against them by ACCC and sixteen other Respondents for petrol price fixing in the Geelong, Victoria area.
- Acting for Queensland corporation and Defendant director sued in the Supreme Court of Victoria in relation to allegations of breaches of directors' duties and fraud where the damages sought exceeded $4 million dollars.
- Acting for the former director and shareholder of a Building Society over five year period involving the defence of multiple civil and criminal claims and charges and involving issues of fiduciary duties, director duties and equitable remedies.
- Acting for a large olive company on issues involving breach of contract concerning the supply of a state-of-the-art olive oil bottling and packaging line, performance of the contract in accordance with standards and specifications and complex damages calculations.
Property, Corporations, Finance and Investments
- Acting in complex debt recovery proceedings, including applications to set aside statutory demands and winding up application.
- Acted for the board of hospital in claims against its former CEO in relation to a claim for unfair dismissal and breach of contract.
- Acted for multiple corporate clients in relation to preferential payment and insolvent trading claims made by the Liquidator of creditor companies.
- Acted for a liquidator in proceedings for the issue of multiple examination summons.