Technology & Innovation
Technology and innovation, whether digital or otherwise, continues to play a fundamental and ever-increasing role in how organisations in industries of all types operate their businesses. Clients operating in the technology sector require advice that understands the dynamic nature of the industry recognises their particular challenges and captures the practical needs of their business.
MPH has over 15 years’ experience advising technology and innovation clients on a range of key matters. Our team regularly provides advice to international and domestic technology consulting and IT outsourcing providers (including SaaS providers) and publicly listed technology and innovation companies. We also act for growing and emerging companies in the digital, mechanical and pharmaceutical innovation sectors.
Areas of expertise include:
- Negotiating and drafting all types of IT contracts, including hardware and software agreements, consultancy agreements, distribution and marketing agreements, collaboration/joint venture/teaming agreements and outsourcing agreements
- Drafting and negotiating all forms of consultancy agreements, including time and materials agreements, project alliance agreements, data analysis agreements and helpdesk agreements
- Advising on employment, contractor and subcontractor issues relating to the technology, media and telecommunications industries
- Advising on protection of intellectual property (including trademarking, design, source code, copying and patent issues) and data and confidentiality provisions/ restraints of trade conditions
- Litigation and dispute resolution in connection with contracts, intellectual property and data protection
- Corporate structuring, compliance and fundraising-related matters
Our recent experience includes:
- Acting for executive and founding management of an ASX listed company in a $350M takeover bid of their company by a multinational IT company
- Acting for the subsidiary of a multi-billion dollar Japanese conglomerate in connection with its $115M acquisition of a publicly-listed IT projects company by way of scheme of arrangement
- Acting on behalf of an ASX-listed IT and managed services company in relation to payment claims arising out of multiple contracts with a government department for the design, testing and implementation of finance, HR and payroll systems
- Acting for an ASX-listed artificial intelligence company in relation to its Initial Public Offer and all aspects of its contracting suite
- Acting for an ASX-listed technology company in the protection of IP and software code
- Advising an ASX-listed mechanical innovation company in joint venture negotiations with a leading multinational organisation (including regarding the protection of existing IP and arrangements for the development and ownership of arising IP) Acting for private software developers on the sale of their code/IP
- Providing structuring, contractual and strategic legal advice to several private emerging innovation businesses
- Acting for an ASX listed company in its acquisition of an ecommerce platform and digital agency and contemporaneous capital raise.
- Advising a private mechanic innovation company on its licensing and royalty registrations with a US multinational
- Advising on a privatization /management buyouts of ASX listed technology companies
- Advising on structuring, restructuring and making investment ready technology start-up companies including advice, negotiation and preparation of shareholder agreements, operational and employment contracts, information memorandums and strategic plans